Welcome to my Blog!
Thanks for coming to my website! I hope it's at least an interesting complete waste of your time.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Trying not to mess up my kid
I'm sure this is an area most parents struggle with. Am I raising my child right? Am I inflicting some kinda mental trauma that's going to need intensive therapy to repair? Am I raising a sociopath? Etc etc. While these concerns are normal, it still leaves a mom a bit uneasy at times. Recently, Charlie and I went to Cow Days and he picked out a toy shot gun that he absolutely begged for. My child is spoiled so of course he got it without hesitation. He then preceded to walk about Cow Days shooting every man he saw. We even sit on the curb and he jumped out and shot anyone who passed. While he found this absolutely hilarious, I couldn't help but watch him and think "Is this healthy?" So to make myself feel better I taught him to just shoot men, that we don't shoot women and children. But then I instantly felt guilty because that was incredibly sexist. The whole don't shoot women is based on the idea that women are weak and helpless and therefore it's unsporting to shoot them. I do my very best to avoid instilling sexist cliches in my son. I try to never tell him he's whining like a girl, or embarrass him by calling him a princess, or tell him "that's for girls" in reference to dolls. Most of you find this incredibly silly, and it is. I'm sure if I sit and thought about it I would find fault in EVERYTHING I let my child do. There comes a point where you have to let go and trust that your instincts will lead you to raise a healthy happy adult. But still, it's a bit strange to let my child pretend that he is murdering people with a shot gun. However, I don't want to be one of those wimpy parents that micromanages everything my kid does, won't let them say "stupid", only allows whole natural healthy foods (never candy or soda), and only lets them watch purely education programs. Those parents suck, and the kids are miserable and usually turn into really annoying adults. But I just don't want to be left with a dumbfounded look on my face like the parents of the sociopaths who shoot up schools. Kid's don't come with a tutorial, and everyone has different views on proper ways to raise a child. I guess, in the end, I have to accept that I'm going to screw up and just do my best to raise my child with common sense and morals in the best way I know how. So Charlie, sorry in advanced son. Send me the bill for your therapy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment